Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day 34 of 365 Days of Pictures

Oh man was it cold today.  I didn't even leave the house today.  I prefer to avoid the cold weather and icy roads.  It was also the 5 year anniversary of the day my mom lost her battle to Breast Cancer.  I preferred to  sit at home to reflect on the last 5 years.  So much has happened.  It is hard to think of everything my mom has missed and what she will never be part of.  Growing up it was just her and me.  She was everything to me.  Watching her struggle to raise 3 kids on her own I learned a lot.  Not on just being a good mom but how to survive anything on your own.  I couldn't have asked for a better mom.  She was not only my mom but my best friend.  I shared almost everything with her.  She sacrificed so much for us and I know a lot of the times it was her happiness she sacrificed to make sure we were happy, clothed, fed and had a roof over our heads.  I now know why she did it.  Our children are the most important thing and everything else doesn't mean anything if our kids are not happy and healthy.  I make a lot of sacrifices for my children and will until the end.

When my mom passed away she was cremated.  This was what she wanted.  Little did I know when we were making the final plans for her that there was so many urns to choose from.  There is a catalog with everything from small keepsakes to very extravagant urns.  My siblings and I each got a keepsake urn and my father got the remainder of her ashes in a cherrywood box.  My sister picked a wind chime while my brother and I each selected a miniature urn.  This is my urn.   It was very important that we did this especially to me since I live 500 miles from the rest of my family.  No matter what my mom will always be with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment